Visit the PFT H&W Office
- Make an appointment to see a Health and Welfare Fund Retirement Counselor to review your retirement options.
- Review prescription, dental and vison retiree benefits with a Health and Welfare Retirement Counselor.
Purchase of Service
- Have you made all possible purchase of service requests?
- Purchase of service applications must be submitted prior to termination of employment.
PSERS Retirement Estimate
- A PSERS staff-prepared retirement estimate is needed to attend exit counseling.
- You cannot use your annual statement or the online calculator information for exit counseling.
- Call PSERS at (215) 443-3495 to schedule exit counseling.
Notify the District
- You are permitted to change or rescind your retirement up to the effective date of retirement, although depending on the date you submit the rescission, you are not guaranteed your existing position.
- Teachers, nurses, therapists and psychologists must notify the Office of Talent office by January 15th in order to receive the lump sum payment of $1000.
- Teachers, nurses, therapists and psychologists must notify the Office of Talent office by March15th in order to receive the lump sum payment of $750.
- Teachers, nurses, therapists and psychologists must notify the Office of Talent office, in writing, by the last day of school in order to receive health insurance benefits for July and August.
Attend Exit Counseling
- Attend Exit Counseling with PSERS. Exit counseling is where all retirement options are decided.
- You will be sent an Exit Counseling packet to review prior to your appointment.
Discuss payment for unused days with a tax shelter advisor
- If you are separating from service from the School District of Philadelphia AND you are at least 55 years of age in the calendar year in which you retire, the School District must distribute your Termination Pay (accumulated personal illness, personal leave and vacation days) to an account under the School District’s 403(b) Plan (and 457(b) Plan, if applicable), which must be invested with one of the School District’s approved Plan providers.